Daikon in the Keto Garden



I'm really excited about a plant this week!

That sentence could probably sum up my entire life, but that's beside the point... 

Even though it is extremely popular in many parts of Asia, if you live in a Western country, like me, you may know of daikon but have never actually tried it, or have only tried it when dining out and never cooked with it yourself. 

You have probably eaten another variety of this plant before though because daikon is a type of radish!


Related image
A bit different from our western round radishes aren't they!

Until recently, I regarded myself as someone who very much disliked radishes. They were too spicy and honestly It made me mad that they were extremely easy to grow but so unpalatable. But this year I came across some daikon seeds and decided to give it a go in my garden. I'd heard that that flavor of daikon was milder than the radishes we are used to in the West. 

They were extremely easy to grow! I sowed daikon and carrot seeds at the same time and while the carrots are still tiny right now, the daikon are all about a foot long and an inch thick. 

I've been cutting them into quarter inch thick coins and frying them in coconut oil before adding other vegetables, protein, and lots of greens. They brown up nicely and lose a lot of their spiciness after cooking. I want to try making chips and hashbrowns out of them soon. 
Here they are with pink radishes, lots of other veggies, greens, Quorn chicken, and eggs.
(This has been my staple dinner this week! So good.)

Here is the nutritional info for 100 grams, which is about a cup of sliced radish. 
Nutrition Facts

Amount Per 
Calories 18
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.1 g0%
Saturated fat 0 g0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0 g
Monounsaturated fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg0%
Sodium 21 mg0%
Potassium 227 mg6%
Total Carbohydrate 4.1 g1%
Dietary fiber 1.6 g6%
Sugar 2.5 g
Protein 0.6 g1%
Vitamin A0%Vitamin C36%
Calcium2%Iron2%
Vitamin D0%Vitamin B-60%
Vitamin B-120%Magnesium4%

It's a great source of vitamin C! Which is great for keto since many people get their vitamin C from sugar-filled orange juice. 

I'm very impressed with this plant and it's definitely a great addition to the keto garden.

Let me know if you have grown daikon or have any recipe ideas that you are excited about!

Until next time,

Emma





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Low-Lectin, Plant-Based Thanksgiving recipe ideas