Low-Lectin, Plant-Based Thanksgiving recipe ideas

 Hi! Emma here,

Holiday gatherings and meals can be difficult for people with food sensitivities.

It's no fun having to choose between eating what the rest of the family is eating and feeling bad for a few days after or eating your own food and feeling like the odd one out.

Some people don't understand that even though you aren't deathly allergic to the food, it still causes you extreme discomfort that can linger for days to weeks.

It's just not worth it! Don't put up with heartburn, chest pain, increased anxiety, flatulence, excess phlegm, and migraine headaches just to fit in with your family's eating style.

I know how difficult it is to keep with the low-lectin way of eating because of simple daily temptations, let alone the extreme temptation of a dinner you are expected to eat because of family tradition. Because of this, I'm sharing my dinner plans with you! 

Here are the dishes I will be making for Thanksgiving with an explanation of any substitutions needed to make the recipe low-lectin and dairy-free.

1. Sugar-Free Cranberry Relish

 https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/4-ingredient-sugar-free-low-carb-cranberry-sauce-paleo-gluten-free/

 Nutty Cranberry Relish

 https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/nutty-cranberry-relish-recipe-2104045

I'll be using these two recipes to make my sauce this year. Starting with the first recipie as a base, but using less powdered erythritol and mixing in an entire chopped orange (de-seeded, with peel), green apple, and toasted pecans after the sauce base is made. 
I know it sounds strange to use the entire orange peel, but it actually tastes great and adds an interesting texture. 

2. Brussels Sprouts w/ Dijon Vinaigrette


I'll making this recipe, but omitting the cranberries and squash. The cranberry sauce is enough cranberry for me and you could definitely sub sweet potato for the squash, but the friend I'll be making this with isn't a huge sweet potato fan, so I'm leaving it out for him. 

I'll barely be changing this one at all, just subbing almond milk for coconut milk since I don't use much almond milk and don't want to buy a whole carton of it. 


I'll be using this sweet potato pie recipe, subbing cornstarch for tapioca flour, and using this almond pie crust. I'll use almond flour instead of almond meal because I have a bunch of almond flour. If you don't want to use maple syrup, using something like stevia drops and a little maple extract would probably work the same way

5.  Vegan French Silk Pie

Coconut Whipped Cream


If you don't have agar-agar and are not vegetarian or vegan, you could use gelatin instead for this pie. 

6.  Cauliflower Stuffing

 
I'll be making the Keto stuffing below, but this looks like a a great vegetable-only stuffing. I'd use olive oil instead of butter since I'm trying to stay away from dairy.

7. Keto Stuffing- Use Keto Cornbread

https://www.castironketo.net/blog/keto-stuffing

Keto 'Corn Bread'



Now this is the dish I'm most excited about. I'll be subbing coconut cream for heavy cream and coconut oil for butter.

8. Quorn Chicken Cutlets


I'll be browning quorn chicken cutlets in a pan with some vegetable stock and rosemary instead of making turkey or some other meat. I'm not a strict vegetarian, but I was for 5 years and am still generally plant-based.


I hope this list was helpful in giving you ideas for your Thanksgiving meals this week!
 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daikon in the Keto Garden